Reading Response
Katniss lives in a futuristic nation, called Panem; Panem is divided into twelve districts. Each of the districts has to randomly choose two kids- of different gender to participate in the annual Hunger Games. Though they are called the "Hunger Games" it isn't exactly a "Game". It's a competition of which one competitor can stay alive till the end! It's hard to envision a world so cruel with absolutely no mercy, but it is the one Katniss lives in. When thinking about the book for a while, I realized that Panem, in many ways, is an exaggerated reflection of our own world. You can relate: child labor, to putting children in an arena to kill each other for entertainment. You can relate: the Capitol of Panem forcing the Hunger Games upon the districts, to tyranny. You can relate: army drafting, to 'The reepings'. Etc. In many ways our worlds are not so different, both disturbed in many ways.
I read "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins, and craved every page of it. It was a great book, and I'd defiantly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a classic action story, with a bit of (unexpected) romance. But for me the best part of this book was watching the main character, Katniss, grow. I began to really admire Katniss, and when reading the book- told from her perspective, I felt as though I was completely under her influence. I admire Katniss because she is a brave girl with an incredible survival instinct. Where katniss came from, and where she is going, bravery (and survival) are constantly crucial and may just save her life.
Katniss lives in a world (Just like ours), full of injustice, as I mentioned before. I admire how in her world full of exaggerated injustices, she manages to stay true to herself.There was a moment for Katniss on the way home from The Hunger Games, when she is taking the train home and looks in the mirror and does not recognize herself for a second. Even as everyone changes, and time passes by, and series of sad events occur Katniss stays brave, and in her internal monologue in the book she seems to always try to stay true to what she believes.
She stays true to what she believes as she "Battles survival against humanity, and life against love"
-Collins
Best Quotes From Katniss:
"Panic begins to set in. I can’t stay here. Flight is essential.…But I can’t let my fear show "
Katniss ( , Collins)
" I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun"
Katniss ( , COllins)
"The more likable he is, the more deadly he is "
Katniss ( , Collins)
...............
“ I keep wishing I could think of a way to…to show the Capitol they don’t own me. That I’m more than just a piece in their Games”
-Peeta (Collins)
No comments:
Post a Comment