It was the day after i lost my last baby tooth
the day I didn't hold Mom's hand while crossing the street
The day I didn't need a reminder to 'comb my hair' 'brush my teeth' or 'tie my shoes'
it was the day I blew out five candles on a white frosted cake
After I blew out the candles, I plucked them off of the cake, ate the frosting from the bottom, and stuck them in the pockets of my pink romper
I was thirteen, and looking through my messy closet for my favorite pair of blue skinnies,
when I find a small pink romper
and began to remember
The faded photos of me, in that small pink romper, turning five years old
and blowing out the candles from my cake
I keep all the photos from a 'long while back' under my bed
I stick my hand in the pocket of the pink romper and pull out 4 pink candles
and then take out the photos and brush the dust off all of them
as I do I feel a salt lake forming down my on my face.
That's when I fully remember, how big the world was in that small pink romper.
The innocence. The simple pleasures
of an ice-cream
playing dress-up
or watching my Dad do the magic trick where he would disapear.
Now it's no longer a magic trick.
Now
No ice cream,
or costumes
and no magic.
I even miss the gags i gave when my parents forced the vegtables down my throat.
Even the, what-felt-like, endless time outs.
But now no magic, or snack/ nap times,
no cookies and milk on the counter
so I'll ride my bike home with no training wheels on.
No comments:
Post a Comment