
This picture is titled: Potato Eaters
By: Van Gogh
Analyze:
In the picture there is a family eating dinner.
Dinner is something ordinary we have everyday.
I asked myself: why did Van Gogh bother to make a painting of it, if it is completely ordinary?
I think he wanted to document the average life of many Europeans.
Potato was a crop they ate everyday, all week (During that time period).
Some observations were:
- There is a oil lamp hanging above their heads, but outside the windows it appears to be pitch black.
- Everyone, including the elder sitting at the table, look very thin. Also they don't appear to have very good posture. Probably because no one in the painting looks especially 'thrilled' to be their.
- The clothing looks old, and used, very pilgrim-like.
- I have seen this painting a thousand times, and I just noticed that surrounding the girl, (who has her back at us), is a blotch of blotted green. Making her stand out a bit, and separating her from her surroundings a bit.
I think Van Gogh meant it as a way to show her space, and thoughts.
"Potatoes and tea. Int 2.
ReplyDeleteThe clock never seems to move fast enough.
The oil lamp was burning, and the clocks was barely moving.
The whistling of the tea pot, then the rush of steam in the face.
potatoes and tea was prepared.
I take a deep breath in, and stare at the flickering flame above my head.
I look down at the wooden chair, I am beginning to feel stiff sitting in.
BEGINNING, now where do those begin?
Hard to remember when you have to choice but to sit in the same wooden chair everyday."