But as this story is about life, it is also about death. When Wilbur is a baby, Fern saves Wilbur from his terrible fate (involving an ax). Wilbur grows up in Fern's uncle's barn. There he meets Charlotte.
Charlotte is an old, gray spider, but more importantly, a motherly figure to Wilbur. Charlotte teaches Wilbur vital skills that Wilbur may need in the future. For example, Charlotte teaches Wilbur manners, and spelling. When Charlotte passes away, Wilbur thinks it is the end of the world. Charlotte leaves behind a gift. A sac full of over one-hundred baby spider eggs. Wilbur teaches Charlotte's babies everything Charlotte had taught him; Wilbur loves Charlotte's children the way he loved Charlotte, even though there will always be a special spot in Wilbur's heart for her.
When I was younger, I had a cousin who died very young from cancer. I felt exactly like Wilbur; my family and I all thought we would never recover. A year and a half later, my 4th cousin was pregnant with our newest addition to the family. My family got together and celebrated. My aunt even made a toast to "New life". When baby Eric turned three, we tried to explain to him some of our families traditions and rituals, which he would have to carry on. We had recovered gracefully, but we will never forget my cousin.
To symbolize life, death, and moving forward the author has Fern riding a ferris wheel. I don't know why I adore this scene so much. This scene is about Fern growing up, and becoming an independent girl, as she rides the ferris wheel round and round. I believe it is a symbolic way to show the cycle of life. E.B White shows us that the cycle of life is like the cycle of a spider's web. At the end of the book Charlotte's web is inherited by her children.
(involving an ax) thats really funny i enjoy that maybe ill use that....Anyway your Entry is FANTASTIC! So many details and plenty text evidence!
ReplyDeleteYou really make it clear on whats what!
Your entry is AMAZING. i love how u made the connection to your family that part was really strong . But i really liked howyou had a lot of detail in your entry which is awesome
ReplyDeleteI like how you put yourself into the situation. You give examples from your own life, not just from the story. I really like that
ReplyDeleteyou made good conections with the book
ReplyDelete